Portland Green Job Websites
LRS Architects Inc
Ian J. Broomfield
“Vicki helped me claim my accomplishments with professional humility and gave guidance that really paid off. My first review went well and people are still impressed with interview preparation that Vicki recommended.”
There is no one local website that captures all of the postings for jobs in sustainability. We suggest that you first check out many of the sites listed below and choose a few that have postings most relevant to your goals. Those with an asterisk have job boards with postings. The others have networking events, blogs, LinkedIn groups or Twitter feeds where job openings are posted periodically. In addition to reviewing these job sites, remember to periodically check the employer websites directly and set Indeed.com and LinkedIn to send you position announcements using key words such as sustainability, natural resources, or recycling.
- www.cnrg-portland.org. Subscribers to the CNRG Daily Digest receive daily e-mail notification of job openings, classes, events and other information related to community involvement and the nonprofit sector (including sustainability)
- idealist.org. Includes job listings in social justice and sustainability as well as an annual job fair and volunteer opportunities.
- oregon.greenjobs.net/portland. This site breaks out jobs by focus such as water, waste, and energy.
- living-future.org/cascadia/resources/job-board. Pioneering innovative green building initiatives, Cascadia is the Pacific Northwest’s regional U.S. Green Building Council Chapter. All postings on this free Listserv are for green building-related jobs located within the Pacific Northwest.
- www.portlandonline.com/bps/. City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability. Click on the "Events" tab. This site is a clearinghouse for jobs, sustainability tours, citizen and stakeholder advisory groups, and sustainability classes.
- http://oregonrecyclers.org/resources/jobs is the website for the Association of Oregon Recyclers, a robust professional organization with many opportunities for following trends, an annual conference, as well as a job board.
- portland.craigslist.org. Craiglist's Nonprofit and Creative job sections have a significant number of postings. Also try searching all jobs with terms like “sustainability,” “environment,” and “conservation.” Major weakness is that employer is often not listed.
- www.earthshare-oregon.org. Earth Share Oregon is a federation of nonprofit environmental organizations that promotes environmental education and charitable giving through workplace campaigns. There are no listings for paid jobs, but there is a link to information about volunteer opportunities.
- groups.yahoo.com/group/portlandgreendrinks. Portland’s chapter of Green Drinks meets monthly and is a hub for networking for green jobseekers and a rich source for keeping up to date on local emerging trends.
- groups.yahoo.com/group/pnwJobSeekers. The PNW Job Seekers listserv was established to share information about Portland area job opportunities in natural resource conservation and environmental education. To subscribe, visit the link above or send a blank e-mail message to: pnwJobSeekersemail@example.com.
- http://voisalliance.org/resources/job-listings. The website for the nonprofit Voice for Oregon Innovation and Sustainability. Jobs are posted relevant to their advocacy for buying locally, social entrepreneurship, and advancing sustainability.